A limited number of fellowships is offered to graduate students in the department. If you like to learn more and apply, please visit the following websites:
The Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC) – Canadian and permanent residents
Affiliated Fellowships https://www.grad.ubc.ca/awards/affiliated-fellowships-doctoral-program
These awards are offered to graduate students only.
Departmental deadline for 2019-2020 competition for PhD students: October 1, 2018.
Affiliated Fellowships for Doctoral programs: https://www.grad.ubc.ca/awards/award-resources-programs/affiliated-fellowships-tri-agency-competitions
Deadline for MA students for 2019-2020 competition: December 1, 2018.
Application submission through SSHRC
Affiliated Fellowships for master programs: https://www.grad.ubc.ca/awards/affiliated-fellowships-masters-program
Inquiries and application material should be directed to:
University of British Columbia
Department of Asian Studies
607-1871 West Mall, Vancouver, British Columbia V6T 1Z2
Attn.: Graduate program assistant
Graduate students will be considered for the following scholarships and prizes at the end of an academic year:
- C. K. CHOI Prize in Buddhist Studies 01260
- KHYENTSE Foundation Award for Excellence in Buddhist Studies 1376
- UNIVERSAL Buddhist Temple Scholarship 00451
- UNIVERSAL Buddhist Temple Graduate Scholarship 6410
- INTERNATIONAL Buddhist Society Graduate Scholarship 6420
- LOTUS Light Charity Society Mu-Shu Lee Memorial Scholarship in Buddhist Studies 4452
CANADIAN Chinese Help Care Society Graduate Scholarship 04862
Chris LIN Memorial Scholarship 01108
- Gregory TSO Memorial Scholarship in Asian Studies 01289
Kenji OGAWA Memorial Prize in Japanese 01235
The OKAMATSU Family Scholarship for Japanese Studies 01180
- The Mr. and Mrs. SATO Prize in Asian Studies 01181
- COMMUNITY Prize for Korean Studies 01206
South Asian Studies
- COMMUNITY Prize in South Asian Studies 01318
- KONARAK Prize in South Asian Studies 01201
- Ajaib S. SANGHA Prize 01170
- The INDIA Club of Vancouver Prize in Asian Studies 1179
- Jaswant S. BERAR and Sham Kour Berar Memorial 01251
- Harcharan Kaur MANN Scholarship in Punjabi Studies 01273
- Harmandeep Kaur RAI Memorial Prize in Asian Studies 01358
- Joseph I. RICHARDSON Scholarship 01252
- Andy and Julie SUN Scholarship in Asian Studies 01314
- William L. HOLLAND Scholarship 01112
- Velma T. and Lawrence G. Y. CHEN Graduate Award in Asian Studies 6519
- Asa JOHAL Fellowship in Asian Studies 00488
- Nicki MAGNOLO 06418 – to a graduate student who has worked as a TA in the Department of Asian Studies
For more information about specific requirements for each award, please take a look at the Award Booklet 2017-2018.
How Awards are Determined
Prizes are awarded based on recent academic achievement, performance in a specific course, best student in the program or for other specified characteristic at the end of the session as recipients are not required to return to UBC to receive them.
The Graduate Committee invites recommendations from faculty in the Spring session. The committee is free to consider all students in the Department whether or not they have been nominated. Students can nominate themselves if they meet the requirements of a particular award.
How to Apply for Scholarships
Please submit an email with your name, UBC student number, and the prize(s) and/or scholarship(s) for which you would like to be nominated to Graduate Secretary before May 15th.
The committee’s decisions are based on GPA and faculty recommendations along with course marks. The marks taken into account are generally those of the preceding academic year.
For more awards and scholarships offered university wide please visit http://www.grad.ubc.ca/prospective-students/scholarships-awards-funding