Interested in what you can do with a degree in Asian Studies? For our new video series, our Asian Studies students interview alumni on their career path, how they became interested in Asian Studies, and for any advice they would give to current students. In this episode, fourth-year Honours Student Elliott Cheung (BA’ 18) interviews alumnus Jimmy Mitchell (MA ’95).
Jimmy is currently the principal of West Consulting Services, a consulting firm in Vancouver. With a Masters Degree in Chinese History, he believes in taking the “useful, fun instructive” parts of one’s studies, and “translating that into something that will get them further in life.”
In this video, the interview covers the following questions:
- What was the most unforeseen thing that happened over the course of your career?
- How has your Asian Studies Degree or language skills contributed to your career?
- If you could give yourself a piece of advice early in your career, what would it be?
- How does networking actually work in your opinion?
- What was one of the biggest obstacles in deciding a career path?
- What was one of your challenges in moving to a different country?
- What was one of your biggest assumptions going into your career?
Wanna learn more? Check out Jimmy Mitchell’s interview from the archives here.