Discover Japan and the Asia Pacific in APU’s Intensive Japanese Language Program!
The Gateway Program offers intensive Japanese language courses from beginner to intermediate level. APU’s multicultural environment not found elsewhere in Japan provides a friendly and safe environment for students even without having any background in Japanese. You will not only expand your knowledge of Japanese and Asia Pacific cultures, but also deepen your intercultural understanding and cross-cultural communication skills by studying alongside students from over 80 countries and regions.
The city of Beppu is very welcoming to international students and provides an alternative experience to one found in major cities. Students are encouraged to go out into the local community and put their new language skills to use and learn a living language.
For more details go to the Gateway Program website.
- Intensive beginner’s to intermediate Japanese language courses (Twelve 95-minute classes per week)
- Experienced instructors
- Interaction with APU “Buddies” and local communities
- Cultural activities
- Weekend home stay
- Overnight field trip to Nagasaki
- Official transcript issued
2017 Program Schedule
|Application Deadline||March 1, 2017|
|Payment Deadline||April 15, 2017|
|Arrival / Accommodation check-in||May 30 or 31、2017|
|Program Dates||June 1 – July 28, 2017|
|Accommodation check-out||July 29 or July 30, 2017|
Program Fees (subject to change)
|Screening Fees||JPY 11,750|
|Registration Fees||JPY 32,500|
|Program Fees (Tuition and Program Activities Fee)||JPY 360,000|
|Housing Fees||JPY 81,000|
|Bank Transfer Fees in Japan||JPY 1,750|
*Meals, airfare, local transportation, medical insurance, and personal expenses are not included in the program fees.
* You may take one academic course from the College of Asia Pacific Studies (APS) or International Management (APM) with an additional fee of JPY 45,000 per credit: Most APU lecture courses are worth 2 credits (JPY 90,000).
The Gateway Program Japanese Course is a 6 credit language subject which meets 12 times a week. Activities and Field Trips are scheduled during the week and on the weekends.