Graduate students in the Asian studies programs have access to a variety of academic advising resources.

Graduate Advisors

Graduate students can contact the relevant advisor if they have any questions or concerns regarding their research, progress and application strategies.

Tina Wong
Graduate Program Assistant

Dr. Christina Yi
Associate Graduate Advisor
Asian Centre Room 403B

Dr. Bruce Rusk
Graduate Advisor
Asian Centre Room 404

Graduate Advising FAQs

Auditors are students registered in a credit course who are expected to complete all course requirements except the final exam. They may be given Fail (F) standing if their performance is not satisfactory. An auditing student’s academic record will list “AUD” as the grade obtained upon successful completion of course requirements.

Graduate students who wish to audit a course must:

  1. Inform the instructor at the beginning of the course of their intention to audit it.
  2. Fill out a Change of Registration form, collect signatures from the instructor and the Graduate Advisor and give the form to the Graduate Secretary.

The Faculty of Graduate and Postgraduate Studies (G+PS) will authorize audit standing in a course only if the graduate program advisor confirms that the initial registration was as an auditor. A student may not change to audit status after the normal date for adding and dropping courses.

Students are expected to complete their comprehensive examination within 24 months from the date of initial registration. Extension of this period may be permitted by the Dean of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies in exceptional circumstances.

You will need to submit a request for an extension to your supervisor and the Graduate Advisor, with a detailed and realistic timeline outlining how and when you intend to complete these exams. A strong letter of endorsement from your supervisor needs to be submitted with your request to the Graduate Advisor. If the Graduate Advisor agrees with the request, they will submit a recommendation for an extension to The Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies.

Graduate students may find that they need to request a leave of absence for one or more of the following reasons:

  • Parental leave
  • Health reasons
  • Professional leave
  • Personal leave
  • Leave to pursue a second program of study

Graduate students may wish to discontinue their programs for personal reasons, or may be required to withdraw from the University. In any event, students must follow the appropriate procedures when considering their withdrawal.

University regulations establish a five-year time limit for the completion of a master’s program and a six-year time limit for the completion of a doctoral program. To apply for an extension of your program, send your request for an extension to your supervisor and the Graduate Advisor.

Graduate Resources

On this page
    Back to toparrow_upward