Thank you to everyone who has registered – please note registrations are now closed, but we’ll be posting the newsletters here each week so you are welcome to follow along!
A state of CLIMATE EMERGENCY has been declared both by the City of Vancouver and The University of British Columbia within this past year, and increasingly in the news and media we are witness to some of the damage that is ensuing in Canada and other parts of the world as a result of human-inflicted climate change.
In response to the current state of our environment, join the Department of Asian Studies for an informational and engaging – 6 week challenge – to learn how we can positively change our behaviour to reduce our carbon footprints.
This project is funded through the Workplace sustainability fund at UBC.
What is a carbon footprint?
“A carbon footprint is the total greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions caused directly and indirectly by an individual, organization, event or product.” It is calculated by summing the emissions resulting from every stage of a product or service’s lifetime (material production, manufacturing, use phase, and end-of-life disposal).¹
Those emissions accumulate and can have a long term impact on our environment.
Why take the challenge?
You will get:
- A weekly newsletter for next six weeks to learn fun facts and great tips on how we can reduce our impact both individually and collectively
- An invite to the wrap up party and a chance to win some fantastic prizes
- A great opportunity to join fellow faculty, staff and students in building a community of positive change
Challenge and Newsletter Schedule:
- FEB 3 : DEADLINE TO SIGN UP
- WEEK 1 : Food
- WEEK 2 : Housing & Water
- WEEK 3: Waste & Consumption
- WEEK 4: Transportation
- WEEK 5: ACTION!
- MARCH 13 : Wrap Up Party!
Who do I contact for more information?
Vicky Baker, Project Manager: email@example.com
Want to take the challenge? Here’s what’s next:
1) Measure your footprint with our provided calculator (we suggest you select ‘Seattle’ as the city)
2) Check back on this page each week, as registrations have now closed, but we’ll be posting each weekly newsletter link under the “Challenge and Newsletter Schedule” above!