Liam Doherty is a sessional lecturer teaching ASIA 386 & 396 (Chinese Grammar and Usage I & II). He has a background in Chinese as an Additional Language Education and a particular interest in digital literacy and multilingualism, corpus linguistics, and the use of open data-driven digital tools to help better understand, learn, and teach languages. His current research examines peer mentorship among Chinese language learners in an online context. He is a member of the Centre for Research in Chinese Language and Literacy Education (CRCLLE) at UBC.
- PhD Candidate, Modern Language Education (Chinese as an Additional Language Education, Digital Literacy, Multilingualism), UBC
- M.Ed., Language and Literacy Education, UBC
- M.A. Asia-Pacific Studies, University of Toronto
- B.A. East Asian Studies, University of Toronto
- Duff, P., & Doherty, L. (in press). Learning “Chinese” as a heritage language: Challenges, issues, and ways forward. In C.-R. Huang, Z. Jing-Schmidt, & B. Meisterernst (Eds.), Routledge handbook of Chinese applied linguistics. London, UK: Routledge.
- Stranger-Johannessen, E., Doherty, L., & Norton, B. (2018). The African Storybook and Storybooks Canada: Digital stories for linguistically diverse children. Language and Literacy, 20(3), 121-133.
- Duff, P, & Doherty, L. (2018). Chinese second language socialization. In C. Ke (Ed.), Routledge handbook of Chinese second language acquisition (pp. 82-99). Milton: Routledge.
- Hare, J., Darvin, R., Doherty, L., Early, M., Filipenko, M., Norton, B., Soni, D., & Stranger-Johannessen, E. (2017). Digital storytelling and reconciliation. In P. Tortell, M. Young & P. Nemetz (Eds.), Reflections of Canada (pp. 200-205). Vancouver: Peter Wall Institute for Advanced Studies.
- Duff, P. A., Anderson, T., Doherty, L., & Wang, R. (2015). Representations of Chinese language learning in contemporary English-language news media: Hope, hype, and fear. Global Chinese, 1(1), 139-168.
- Duff, P., & Doherty, L. (2014). Examining agency in (second) language socialization research. In P. Deters, X. Gao, E. R. Miller, & G. Vitanova (Eds.), Interdisciplinary approaches to theorizing and analyzing agency and second language learning (pp. 54-72). Clevedon, UK: Multilingual Matters.
- Doherty, L. (2018). Digital literacy in Cantonese language education. (4th Workshop on Innovations in Cantonese Linguistics, University of British Columbia).
- Doherty, L. (2018). “世上無難語，只怕有心人” (“Why Cantonese is not a difficult language”). Panel: Teaching & Learning Cantonese in the World. (Invited talk at Cantonese Worlds 2 Workshop, St. John’s College, UBC).
- Doherty, L. (2018). 利用科技,为课堂增添乐趣 (“Using technology to enhance learning in the Chinese classroom”). 数字时代的中文教学培训 (“Chinese Instruction in the Digital Age Training Program”), Confucius Institute at BCIT (invited talk).