Any course that is full will be blocked and have an open waitlist. Students should sign up for the waitlist section of the course if it is full.
- After registration begins for a session, any course that is full will be blocked and have an open waitlist. Register for the waitlist if the course you want to take is blocked.
- Open seats are assigned to waitlisted students in the following order:
- Honours/Majors in Asian Studies, 4th to 1st year, by registration date
- Minors in Asian Studies, 4th to 1st year, by registration date
- All other students, by registration date
- Students are assigned into the course manually, at least twice a week
- Waitlists stop being monitored on the last Wednesday before each term begins. The department will unblock all course sections starting that term (unless otherwise requested by the instructor). Students will be responsible for monitoring the course sections on their own for an available spot.
Courses starting in Term 1 of the 2022 Winter session will stop having waitlists monitored from September 1st, 2022. Courses starting in Term 2 of the 2022 Winter session will stop having waitlists monitored from January 4th, 2023.
Students on the waitlist have priority for empty seats in courses. This switch is not automatic, so the Department must manually switch students from the waitlist to the course. Please register on the waitlist if you see seats open in a blocked course.
The Department of Asian Studies does not disclose a student’s place on a waitlist as their placement can potentially change depending on who is registered at the time. Please see our note about waitlist priority above.
If you are registered on a waitlist before the term begins, you will be notified through email about this change so that you will know when to start checking the SSC for availability.
There are two options to address this:
1.) Find a seat during the add/drop period
Throughout the add/drop period, seats may become available in our courses. You are responsible for monitoring courses for empty seats and adding yourself to a course if seats become available.
2.) Reach out to the instructor
Another option is to reach out to the instructor of the course with the Change of Registration form. With this form, the instructor may add you to their course, even if there are no seats available. If you have the form filled out and signed before the add/drop deadline, send it to email@example.com for processing. If the form is not completed until after the add/drop deadline, you will need to send the form off to your home Faculty Advising office for processing.
If you have any further questions please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. We do not take phone call or email requests to add you into a course.